you are here:
A new 2 car DMU is being introduced in the form of the original Derby Lightweight of which 97 were built by BR workshops at Derby between 1954 and 1956. These pioneering units paved the way under the BR Modernisation Plan of 1955 for the withdrawal of steam locomotives and coaches on branch, cross country and suburban routes. As newer units came on stream, the last unit was withdrawn in 1969 and they were designated as a Class under the 1971 TOPS renumbering scheme.
They saw extensive use across the system including the West Riding of Yorkshire; Cumbria; East London; West Midlands; South Midlands; East Anglia and Lincolnshire. Following withdrawal some units were utilised for departmental service. A two car unit has been preserved at the Midland Railway Centre at Butterley where it is undergoing restoration.
Three examples will be available in BR green with yellow ends (32-515), BR green with speed whiskers (32-516) and BR blue (32-517) with DMBS and DTC cars modelled.
7 March 2010
For further information please contact :
Dennis Lovett, Public Relations Manager,
Bachmann Europe PLC, Moat Way, Barwell, Leicestershire, LE9 8EY
Telephone: +44 (0) 1455 841756